The Charitable Foundation is working in partnership with The Mary Gale Foundation, a private grantmaking foundation that supports organizations and programs to help low-income women 65 and older in greater Manchester. Foundation staff members are assisting with research, convening nonprofit partners, strategic planning and grantmaking.
“We wanted to be sure that we were making the greatest impact so we looked to the Foundation for expertise,” said Mary Gale Foundation board member Tom Boucher. “Their knowledge of what’s going on in New Hampshire is just invaluable to us.”
In 2015, more than $640,000 in grants was awarded to nine organizations:
- Child and Family Services – to provide home care management for low-income senior women in greater Manchester.
- Easter Seals – for its Seniors Count Community Liaison and for the Flex Fund.
- Manchester Housing and Redevelopment Authority – to provide meals, transportation coordination and housekeeping and laundry services.
- New Hampshire Legal Assistance – to provide legal services to senior women facing barriers to accessing or maintaining safe and affordable housing.
- Belknap-Merrimack Counties Community Action Program – to support the Senior Companion Program in serving low-income senior women in greater Manchester.
- Community Caregivers of Greater Derry – to provide free volunteer caregiving services to women 65 and older living in Londonderry.
- New Hampshire Association for the Blind – to provide vision services to low-income women at or below 200 percent of poverty in greater Manchester.
- St. Joseph Community Services – to support Meals on Wheels delivery to low-income women age 65 and older in greater Manchester.
- The CareGivers – to support the purchase of a walk-in refrigerator unit to expand storage space to meet client demand.
The Mary Gale Foundation will begin accepting applications for its Friday, September 9 deadline in mid-July. Please visit www.nhcf.org/marygalefoundation to learn more.