Together We Thrive
The Foundation’s new strategic plan is focused on advancing equity and racial justice — to help make New Hampshire a community where we can all thrive, together.
We want New Hampshire to be a community where everyone can thrive.
When a community can draw on the potential, strength, ingenuity and grace of every person in it, that community will be healthier, happier, more prosperous and a better place to live for all.
This aspiration is not new. But to make real, lasting progress, we need to think and act differently. It starts with being clear about who faces barriers to thriving, why those barriers exist, and what it takes to remove them.
For too long, too many of us have faced barriers to basic rights and the ability to thrive based on race, gender identity, age, socioeconomic background, geography, sexual orientation, immigration status, ability, and other factors. Black, Latino, Asian, Indigenous and other people of color, in particular, face disproportionate barriers.
Systemic inequity and racism harm everyone and are at the root of many of our collective challenges. The crises of recent years — a global pandemic, economic and social upheaval, polarization, threats to democracy, accelerating climate change — have exacerbated inequities that were already deep and that will persist until the underlying causes are resolved.
For all of us to thrive, together, we will need to face our shared challenges with adaptation, openness, imagination and the determination to change:
- We are committed to advancing equity and racial justice by prioritizing major areas of our community work, mobilizing philanthropic resources and aligning our internal operations.
- We will develop new ways for donors to align their philanthropy with these pressing community needs.
- We will strive to ensure that New Hampshire’s community foundation reflects the richness and diversity of the New Hampshire community.
- And we will work with partners from all sectors to build more just economic, social, civic and philanthropic systems.
This work will take time, deep collaboration and tenacity. It is both urgent and generational — which is exactly what community foundations are built for. We’re in.
OUR PLAN TO ADVANCE EQUITY AND RACIAL JUSTICE
Lead with our community work
STRATEGY 1: Elevate community voices, share decision-making power and create solutions together
STRATEGY 2: Increase focus on equity, racial justice and economic security in grantmaking and strategic initiatives
Mobilize philanthropic resources
STRATEGY 1: Increase philanthropic capital to advance the priorities in our community work
STRATEGY 2: Align Foundation investments with purpose and values
Align our operations
STRATEGY 1: Adapt business model and operations
STRATEGY 2: Ensure that the Foundation’s culture, staffing and governance embody our values
Hundreds of New Hampshire voices
Many perspectives informed “Together We Thrive,” and we are grateful to all who helped shape this new plan, including:
- A community listening team comprised of 15 people who have faced barriers to opportunity and who conducted interviews and surveyed more than 600 New Hampshire residents. Read the team’s report.
- The more than 50 nonprofits who responded to a survey to tell us how the Foundation is doing now in advancing equity and racial justice and how we can do better. Read the nonprofit survey.
- A synthesis of research and reports on obstacles to opportunity faced by people of color in New Hampshire, along with action recommendations. Read the summary.
- Our staff, board of directors, regional advisors, donors and professional advisors who shared their concerns and aspirations for our communities.